Major Update on Perez Hilton’s Recovery as Reports Raise Questions About His Celebrity Friendships.
Perez Hilton remains hospitalized following a serious mental-health crisis earlier this month, with his family saying that the 48-year-old media personality continues to receive inpatient treatment from medical and mental-health professionals. Hilton, whose real name is Mario Armando Lavandeira Jr., was taken to a hospital on August 4 after viewers became alarmed by a TikTok livestream in which he appeared to harm himself. Emergency services responded to his Miami-area home, and his family later confirmed that he was receiving medical attention.
Nearly two weeks afterward, relatives said he remained hospitalized and emphasized that his health continued to be their primary concern. The family provided its latest public update on August 17, thanking people who had reached out with messages of concern and support. According to the statement, Hilton remained in an inpatient setting under the supervision of a team addressing both his physical and psychological needs. His relatives did not give a timetable for his discharge, and there is no responsible basis for predicting exactly how long his recovery may take.
Mental-health recovery can differ significantly from one individual to another, particularly following a serious crisis, and Hilton’s family has repeatedly asked the public to respect his privacy while treatment continues. Hilton’s sister, Barbara Lavandeira, has spoken publicly about the family’s response to the incident. She said she became directly involved during the emergency and focused on getting help for her brother while also protecting his children from further distress.
In interviews afterward, Barbara described the experience as deeply traumatic for the entire family and stressed that her brother has a difficult recovery ahead of him. Her public comments have largely focused on the importance of treatment, compassion and protecting the children rather than sharing unnecessary details of what occurred.

The situation has also led to temporary changes involving Hilton’s three children. Court records in Miami-Dade County show that his mother, Teresita Lavandeira, filed a petition seeking temporary custody following his hospitalization. Reporting based on those records indicates that Hilton consented to the temporary arrangement. The filing was made while he remained unable to resume his ordinary parental responsibilities, and the family’s statements have emphasized stability and emotional well-being for the children during his recovery.
Hilton has frequently spoken publicly about how central fatherhood is to his life. He is the father of three children and has shared many aspects of raising them over the years through interviews, social media and his website. Because they are minors dealing with an intensely private family crisis, however, there is little reason to amplify unnecessary personal details about them. The temporary custody arrangement should not be interpreted as a final determination about Hilton’s future as a parent; it is a measure connected to the circumstances surrounding his current hospitalization.
The August crisis came during what Hilton’s sister has described as an exceptionally difficult year for him physically and emotionally. Earlier in 2026, Hilton experienced a serious case of sepsis that resulted in an extended hospital stay. He later also dealt with a deep vein thrombosis, according to his own public accounts and subsequent reporting. Hilton spoke openly afterward about how frightening those medical problems had been and how the experience had affected the way he viewed his life.
Barbara has said that her brother’s mental health remained fragile following those medical challenges. According to her account, Hilton experienced depression, anxiety and difficulty sleeping, and he voluntarily sought psychiatric treatment before the August incident. She said he continued therapy afterward and was preparing to participate in additional treatment. These details come from Hilton’s sister rather than an independent medical record, so they should be attributed to her rather than presented as an outside diagnosis.
Reports have also mentioned other pressures in Hilton’s life, including financial concerns and the adjustment connected with moving to Miami. Friends and family members have suggested that several stresses may have contributed to a difficult period. However, it would be inaccurate to identify any one of those circumstances as the confirmed cause of his mental-health crisis. Complex mental-health events rarely have a single simple explanation, and Hilton’s exact private circumstances are ultimately matters for him, his family and the professionals treating him.
Hilton had also been speaking publicly about faith before his latest hospitalization. After surviving his earlier medical crisis, he wrote and spoke about reading the Bible and developing a stronger relationship with Christianity. In an April post on his own website, he described reading the Bible regularly and trying to change aspects of his life after what he regarded as a profound spiritual experience during his earlier hospitalization. Those statements came directly from Hilton himself and predated the August crisis.
That period of reflection was connected with another subject Hilton had discussed increasingly in recent years: regret over parts of his professional past. Hilton became one of the defining celebrity-gossip personalities of the early internet era after launching the site that eventually became PerezHilton.com. At its peak in the 2000s, his aggressive coverage of celebrities made him both enormously visible and deeply controversial. His posts frequently mocked appearances, relationships and private problems, and some of the people he covered have continued to criticize the harm caused by that style of celebrity journalism.
Hilton himself has acknowledged that history rather than denying it. His sister and longtime associates have pointed to efforts he made over the years to change his public behavior and apologize for some of his earlier treatment of celebrities. A longtime friend and former publicist recently wrote that Hilton began reassessing the tone of his work many years ago and that fatherhood contributed to his attempts to evolve personally. Such claims do not erase legitimate criticism of his past, but they are relevant when describing the changes he has publicly said he wanted to make.
The response to his hospitalization has illustrated how complicated Hilton’s public legacy remains. Some online commenters reacted compassionately, while others revisited controversies from the height of his gossip career. His sister has specifically criticized people who described his crisis as “karma,” arguing that a medical or mental-health emergency should not be treated as punishment for someone’s previous behavior. She has asked people to remember that the situation also affects Hilton’s children, mother and other relatives.
Ireland Baldwin, the daughter of actors Alec Baldwin and Kim Basinger, was among those who publicly revisited Hilton’s past following his hospitalization. She criticized his earlier coverage of herself and her family and described the lasting resentment she felt over material published when she was young. At the same time, reports of her comments noted that she expressed concern for Hilton’s children and hoped he would recover for their sake. Her comments demonstrate that sympathy for a person in crisis and criticism of their past behavior do not necessarily have to be mutually exclusive.
There have also been public signs of support. British television personality Katie Price, who has known Hilton for years, discussed her concern and messages to him following the incident. Actor Jared Padalecki initially posted a supportive message informed by his own advocacy around mental health, although he later removed it after learning more about Hilton’s history and clarified his position. These examples mean that broad claims that “none” of Hilton’s celebrity acquaintances supported him cannot currently be established as factual.
A report attributed to an unnamed family friend has claimed that Hilton has been disappointed by the response from some people he once considered close. Because that account is based on an anonymous source and cannot establish who privately called, wrote or otherwise contacted Hilton or his family, it should be treated cautiously. Flowers, cards and public social-media statements are also not reliable measures of every private relationship. Someone may offer support privately without making it visible to the public, while another person may choose not to become involved.
Hilton’s sister has taken a similarly cautious approach when discussing public reaction. Rather than suggesting that everyone must forgive her brother for his previous conduct, she has argued that his current medical crisis should be treated separately from debates about his professional history. Her position is that people can acknowledge harm he caused while still avoiding cruelty toward someone experiencing a severe mental-health emergency.
The August 4 livestream also prompted broader questions about social-media moderation. TikTok removed the livestream and suspended Hilton’s account, but disturbing clips reportedly spread to other platforms afterward. Some viewers criticized how long highly distressing material was visible before being removed, while TikTok said its systems detected and acted on the content. The episode became part of an ongoing discussion about how platforms respond when a user broadcasts a real-time mental-health crisis.
That wider debate is distinct from Hilton’s individual recovery. His family’s public statements have consistently redirected attention toward treatment rather than speculation about his future online activity. They have not announced a definitive date for his return to public-facing work, and there is no indication that his immediate priority is resuming the same schedule he maintained before hospitalization.
PerezHilton.com, however, has not been permanently shut down. Hilton’s family and team announced that publishing on the website would resume while he remained hospitalized, with staff managing the operation in his absence. The decision allows the business to continue without requiring Hilton himself to return to work before his medical team determines that he is ready.
His longtime podcast collaborator Chris Booker has also spoken about the uncertain future of The Perez Hilton Podcast With Chris Booker. Booker said Hilton’s health and family were the immediate priorities and expressed hope that they might eventually work together again. He did not announce a firm timeline, reflecting the broader uncertainty surrounding Hilton’s recovery and return to professional activity.
Although some reports have speculated that Hilton’s website could eventually adopt a less confrontational tone, no definitive long-term editorial strategy has been publicly established. Any future change should therefore be described only when Hilton or his team announces it directly. The same caution applies to predictions about his career, psychiatric treatment or relationship with public figures he has covered.
What has been confirmed is much simpler. Perez Hilton experienced a serious mental-health crisis on August 4. Emergency services responded, and he was hospitalized. His family subsequently confirmed that he could communicate and later said he remained in inpatient treatment under the supervision of medical and mental-health professionals.
His mother has taken temporary responsibility for his three children through a court process to which Hilton reportedly consented. His sister has spoken openly about the seriousness of the crisis and has urged compassion, especially for the children and family members affected by it.
His earlier battle with serious physical illness is also documented, as are his public discussions about depression, treatment, faith and regret over aspects of his earlier career. Those circumstances provide context, but none should be reduced to a single definitive explanation for what occurred in August.
Likewise, the complicated public response to Hilton should not overshadow the distinction between accountability and cruelty. His controversial history remains part of the public record, and people affected by his earlier work are entitled to speak about their experiences. Acknowledging that history does not require treating a mental-health crisis as entertainment or punishment.
For now, Hilton’s future remains uncertain. His family has not announced when he will leave inpatient care, when he might return to his website or podcast, or what his professional life will look like afterward. Those decisions are expected to depend first on his medical and emotional recovery.
The most recent reliable update is that Perez Hilton remains hospitalized and continues receiving care. His relatives have expressed gratitude for messages of support while requesting privacy and emphasizing the well-being of both Hilton and his children.
Whatever debates continue about the celebrity-gossip culture he helped shape, his current situation is fundamentally a health matter involving a person receiving treatment and a family trying to navigate the aftermath of a serious crisis.
The confirmed story at this stage is therefore not one about abandoned friendships or speculation over who has sent flowers.
It is about hospitalization, treatment, family support, temporary arrangements for three children and an uncertain recovery that medical professionals are continuing to oversee.
Until Hilton or his family provides another verified update, those are the facts that can be reported responsibly.